viernes, 10 de marzo de 2017

Drum rolls please...

As the theme of my blog may already suggests, the ultimate winner from my previous debate is a culinary magazine. Why? Well, easy answer, who doesn't love food?

"Eating is sensorial. More that that, it's about interpreting the information that your senses give you." - Chef Andoni

Dear Mr. Chef Andoni, I cannot agree more with your words. Throughout my life I've been subject of culinary perfection; growing up eating DELICIOUS comfort food from my grandma, all the way to my mom's expert extravagant ways of cooking. I never came into sense until today... I got home from school, starving, my stomach aching from the lack of food, and as I glanced at the table I saw a beautifully arranged plate, close to pristine. That's when I realized I have an artist living with me, how was it possible that I was even considering a different genre other than culinary? I don't understand how it just slipped off of me.

According to Lucidpress' 12 steps to create a magazine, I can only check off step #1, since I already know the topic of my amazing magazine. I've been wrapping around my head trying to think about what I imagine it to look like... As of now I have some ideas in mind:

     1) I want to play with fonts. I LOVE how the Washingtonian magazine wrapped the text around the tasty looking hamburger in this special issue that was released in June, 2014. Rounds of applause to the photographer and cook! (PS: burgers are my favorite dish.)

     2) I've been looking at many magazine example covers in Google, Pinterest, and Instagram and I saw a frequent pattern... Bird's eye view pictures. I think this technique can become very useful in a culinary magazine cover page, especially because it makes it easier to arrange the items in a creative way while at the same time playing with the background. According to this article, the bird's eye view is perfect for food pictures since more items can be arranged in the frame in a coordinated way, attracting more the audience's eyes. 

     3) Also, I would love to be able to play with patterns in the background. Maybe contrasting a wooden board with a colorful patterned table cloth, or  combining patterned plates with a white background. I don't know yet if I want my audience to be high class or middle class, but surely the age range would be around 24-40. While doing my research I found an interesting pattern in the audiences of culinary magazines:




Median age
48
18-49
% men/women
35/65
74.5/25.5
Print Rate Base
925,000
1,750,000

My mind is a little bit clearer now... 
Stay tuned!

-SP





Citations:

"How to make a magazine in 12 steps." Lucidpress Blog. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.
Mathis, Taylor. "Shooting Overhead? Save Your Back With A Tripod Arm." Fstoppers. N.p., 19 Mar. 2013. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.
Food & Wine. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.
"Home." Food Network. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario