domingo, 12 de marzo de 2017

The story of a change of mind

     I'm having a serious problem... I don't know where to start thinking. Should I start by the masthead or figuring out the main image of my cover? Ugh, this is not an easy job.
     Well, for now let's discuss the masthead. According to this article, the masthead should be striking, appealing to the audience, and especially out of the ordinary. I liked one section of the article where the author provides a set of steps or ideas to figure out a title for a magazine, that's where my thinking process started.

Get to the root of it! If you think your magazine title is boring...

  • Do more research on the subject and find related words
  • Try to think of a rhyming word or phrase
  • Crack open a dictionary or thesaurus
  • Pay attention to Latin roots and meanings
  • Abstract the word or phrase with apostrophes or abbreviations
  • Even a baby naming website or book might help inspire you!
     Those two in red are the path that I'm intending to take. As of now I don't have a long list of names but enough to call it a good start. 


     As you can see my mastheads are working their way through my notes on my phone... Lately, I've been more aware of words relating to food and eating so that I can come up with the perfect title. I want it to be one word, not common, maybe not in english, something that can call the attention of many. Because of what I've been imagining, my main source of ideas has been this website with MANY words relating to food. 

     Wait, wait, wait, I've just had a last minute realization. I can't believe this is happening in the middle of a blog post, I was wandering through Snapchat (as always) and I saw it, my masthead, my title, the perfect name to call my future creation.  


     RAW! I cannot think of a more perfect name. Simple, sophisticated, interesting, just amazing. 


Definition of raw


rawer

play\ˈrȯ(-ə)r\; 

rawest

play\ˈrȯ-əst\

  1. 1:  not cooked
  2. 2a (1) :  being in or nearly in the natural state :  not processed or purified raw fibersraw sewage (2) :  not diluted or blended raw spirit

     According to Merriam Webster, raw is something natural, "pure", that's exactly what I envision my magazine to be. Now everything is clear, I want the genre of my magazine not only to be culinary but to be an organic culinary magazine. For me, it's not the same thing... In my house we usually eat very healthy, most of what we eat is organic because of all the properties and minerals that these products provide. However, many people may argue that eating healthy limits your options when going to a dinner, a restaurant, or even a party but that's not very true. Here are many tips that show how eating healthy is not an excuse to making unhealthy decisions, for instance, in the article, Michael F. Jacobson, PhD., executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest and coauthor of the book Restaurant Confidential says that "You need to be an assertive consumer by asking changes on the menu". He especially advices to order vegetables instead of fried or processed foods, which of course reinforces my idea that RAW food is better food. So, RAW will be directed to everyone that decides to take the healthy route but at the same time want to be indulged in the good ways of cooking and eating. The magazine can feature recipes that are based on organic products or restaurants that provide a more natural menu, especially here in Miami (since it's the farthest I can go). 

     RAW is meant to be simple, fresh, natural, elegant, attractive, elevated, and available to all the healthy eaters out there that feel pressured to eat unhealthy food whenever they go out. 

     Now you know how indecisive I am... I can promise it will not be the last time I have a drastic change of mind. 

-SP





Citations: 
"What's in a Name? How to Make Your Magazine Title Stand Out." Flipboard. N.p., 22 Sept. 2015. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.
Reader's Digest Editors from the book Stealth Health. "20 Tricks to Eating Healthy While Eating Out | Reader's Digest." Reader's Digest. N.p., 14 Sept. 2015. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario