domingo, 19 de marzo de 2017

I would judge a magazine by its cover

     After destroying my mom's pristine kitchen and going through every single one of her cupboards and looking at all the tablecloths, plates, and boards, I managed to set some backgrounds I could use for my cover image.

        

     It is so hard to choose between so many options. I plan on cooking and taking the pictures next weekend with my mom and at that moment I'll see what decorations fit my cover dish. Also, I need to start planning on the pictures that will be inside with the articles and index.

     Yesterday, I went to Publix to buy some sushi and when I was in the line waiting for the cashier I went through one of the cooking magazines that was displayed, it was Cooking Light magazine. This images popped out from the pages and called my attention:

    

     I find it interesting how most of the cooking magazine photos have a red detail somewhere in the frame, a hint of greens is somewhat present in many of the pictures too. Why? Well in my opinion red is a color that always stands out in any background that it is placed, giving the pictures a hook or driving the eye of the reader to a specific point in the picture. I just Googled "color red in food" and this article just answered my question. The color red, triggers appetite because it raises the heart rate and affects the metabolism, producing a sensation of hunger. Now it makes sense... Red is a good option to always include. I have in my house these Peruvian red pepper drops that she buys in Fresh Market that look amazing in all of her dishes. They would give that small but perfect hint of color that I'm looking for, also they look different than any other red vegetable so maybe it will give my cover image a little bit more interest or attraction from the readers.

     From the pictures I took from the Cooking Light magazine, I particularly like a lot the third image because that is my breakfast every Saturday... It's extremely delicious and healthy. And of course my mom taught me how to cook it to perfection. This recipe could be present in the inside of the magazine.


     As I read through this article, it was very interesting how the writer recommends to play with the colors. she specifically gives an example by saying " Visualize the combination: poached chicken breast with supreme sauce, mashed potatoes, and steamed cauliflower. Appetizing? Or how about chicken, french fries, and corn? Not quite so bad, but still a little monotonous. Now picture roasted red peppers, grilled stuffed chicken breasts on herb-flecked orzo, and a drizzle of green pesto. Dazzling!". The author gives a very vivid example that helps me with my vision when it comes to color contrast.

     Let's go to @kalamartinez once again and look for the plates that I will cook to have in my cover.

     

This is my personal favorite.... The tuna tartar.

  
     Why is the tuna tartar my favorite? Well, first of all it's exquisite in flavor and secondly it looks delicious, the green avocado on top contrasts with the pink tuna and red pepper drops, also my mom always plays with sauces like the glaze balsamic vinegar which she strokes on the white plate. I'll learn that trick for it to look as perfect as it does in those pictures.

Al right, see you in a bit.

-SP




Citations: 
Susanina, Vladislava. "The Color Red Triggers the Appetite. Red Is Encouraged for Restaurants, Kitchens, and Dining Room Colors." Psych2Go.net. N.p., 28 Aug. 2014. Web. 19 Mar. 2017.
"Food Presentation Tips." How to Live Gourmet. N.p., 01 Oct. 2012. Web. 19 Mar. 2017.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario